what type of lawyer/ what catagory of law is my case in?and/or what court can i file suit in myself

i am a victum of paternity fraud i want to file a lawsuit to try to get alot of money that ive spent back the mother knew i was not father the entire time and i can prove she did.I stay in the sate of michigan in wayne county. ive searched for lawyers but it seems most lawyers specialize in catagory’s so i need to know what type to search for. even while doing this they ask closest topic and im not sure.

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You want a divorce and family lawyer for this, even though you weren't married.  One place to find qualified attorneys is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I don't know how you can prove that she knew you weren't the father all the time.  That evidence will be looked at very closely in a lawsuit like this.  Courts come down hard on people who obtain judgments by fraud, but they will not reach that finding of fraud, usually, without "clear and convincing" proof.  Your lawyer will look at all the facts, including whatever proof you have, to give you reliable advice on how to deal with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.