What type of lawyer is needed?

Someone I know was accused of stealing a government credit card. They were questioned in a way to get them to admit to something they didn’t do. They were told that their name was on the card. It is obvious they have been set up by another employee. They were told a government investigation would be done. Person wants to protect their rights until it is proven they are not guilty

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Criminal Law, District of Columbia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your friend needs a good criminal attorney.  If you are dealing with the federal government try to find one that has experience with the federal cases; possibly a former US Attorney that has gone into private practice.

To begin the search try referring to www.Attorney Pages.com

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.