What type of lawyer do I need to recoup my $1000 auto insurance deductable from the person who hit me and who didn’t have insurance?

Asked on November 25, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Any litigator (an attorney who goes to court/does trials; as opposed to a transactional attorney who mostly drafts contracts, leases, etc.) could handle this. But you are better off representing yourself as your own lawyer ("pro se") in small claims court, because you can't make the other side pay your legal fees--and a lawyer's fees would eat up most, or all, of the $1,000 (indeed, you could even pay *more* for the attorney then you get back). Acting as your own lawyer, your costs will be minimal; this size case is really too small for an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.