What type of lawyer do I need to help me protect my interests and offer contract advice in a family business?

Asked on September 12, 2013 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally, you'd be looking for a "transactional attorney," not a litigator--one who drafts contracts, negotiates deals, etc. rather than going to court. That said, if the business is heavily based on intellectual property (e.g. copyright, patents), you'd want an intellectual property attorney; if it owns/invests in real estate, a real estate and/or landlord-tenant attorney ...  in short, while a general transactional attorney should be able to help you, if the business is based on a particular type of property or service, you may want an attorney with knowldge of that field.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.