What type of lawyer do I speak to regarding debt from owning a time share and excessive collection agency fees?

I bought a time share several years ago. I stopped paying the yearly fees roughly 7 years ago and they sent the debt to a collection agency. I’ve not received a bill since that time from the time share agency. I checked my credit report last year and there’s a debt posted of nearly $10,000, more than half of which is fees and interest. What are my options at this point?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best type of attorney to consult with concerning the debt you owe with respect to the time share that you have written about is one who practices in the area of consumer law.

If there is no judgment against you, there is the potential that some of the debt may be time barred by your state's statute of limitations.

Your recourse if there is no lawsuit and judgment against you for this debt is to contest it as being time barred if your time share has been foreclosed upon by the entity where it is located for unpaid fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.