What type of evidence wouldI need to prove I am the daughter of someone deceased, if he never was added to my birth certificate?

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The best wy to prove that you are anyone's child is through DNA evidence, which means matching yours to his.  If he acknowledged you in his lifetime that would also be a plus.  The facts of your particular situation really matter so please seek legal help with this.  You may need to petition the estate to obtain a DNA sample or use one on file to match to your test.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.