What trusts can be used to leave funds for special needs kids?

What are the types of funds that can be used to leave money for disabled
kids without interfering with public benefits?

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You need to have what is called a "Special Needs Trust" created for the disabled person.  A Special Needs Trust can supplement government benefits (like Medicaid benefits) without interfereing with his or her ability to receive the benfits.  In other words, it is NOT COUNTED for purposes of income when applying for the benefits.  Seek legal help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.