What should we do about a car accident that was not reported to the police?

We were in a car accident 6+ months ago. The lady we hit did not want us to call the cops. She said she was not going to file a claim. Now we are getting sued, attorneys keep calling us, asking for money that we do not have. We are not even sure if the accident was our fault. What should we do?

Asked on March 8, 2011 under Accident Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Ok, calm down.  You should always report an accident to the police.  It is generally a requirement under the law in every state, even if only one car is involved.  Now, besides that right now, were you insured?  Did you report the accident to your insurance?  That is what you need to do asap.  You are entitled to a defense and indemnification (payment of a claim if the accident is found to be caused by you) under your insurance contract so you need to let them know about the accident AND forward them the paperwork you received NOW.  Don't worry about the police report at this point.  You can always file one later.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.