What to expect if falsely accused of giving someone pills?

A boy at school got caught with pills and said that he got them from me which isn’t true. Now I’ve got a subpoena to go to court and was wondering what to expect. Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney? I’m in Davidson County, NC.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely should get a criminal defense attorney--NOW. The potential consequences--jail time; a criminal record; possibly fines as well--are very significant. An attorney will know how best to defend you, whether it is by challenging the case against you, providing an alibi or other defense, attacking a prosecution on procedural grounds, or possibly by bargaining to a lower offense. In the meantime, do not speak to ANYONE, especially the police or prosecutor's office, about this matter, until you have gotten and spoken with your attorney. (This will be exercising your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, if asked by anyone official--you do not have to answer potentially incriminatory questions, even when subpoenaed.) Remember: you have an absolute right to an attorney, and if you can't afford one, one will be appointed for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.