What to do when you know you have an aggravated assault warrant being charged against you?

My best friend just found out he has a warrant for his arrest. He and 3 of his friends are being charged with aggravated assault. 2 of his friends were taken in and told him their court pre-trial hearing is the next morning. What should my best friend do? Turn himself in? Or hire a criminal law attorney and wait? He’s in Henry County, GA.

Asked on September 30, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your best friend is aware that he is a target of an investigation for a criminal offense and that most likely criminal charges have been filed against him, he should immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation he is in to see what can be done about it.

Depending upon the advice of his attorney, he can turn himself in or not. Given the seriousness of the charges that you write about, your friend should not speak with anyone about the situation except the attorney he hires.

Good luck to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.