What to do when you cannot afford an attorney?

My stepfather left a Will stating the children to share and share alike upon my mothers death. My mother died and we have not heard anything from the executor, my brother. It’s been 4 months. He has said another Will was made but has not had one probated.

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford an attorney with respect to the Will issue that you are writing about, you have the following options to get legal advice at little or no cost:

1. contact your county's legal aid clinic about your matter and see if you can have an appointment;

2. contact your county bar association to see if there is a program that it sponsors to assist people needing legal advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.