What to do when parent withholds tax information?

A friend filed his tax returns and his parents claimed him on it. The parent is now withholding the information and he needs it to get financial aid for college.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If a parent withholds information concerning taxes as to a child and the child needs the information for financial aid for college, the recourse for the child is to consult with the school's financial aid department as to the best way to handle the situation.

If the child is 18 years or above, the parents legally cannot claim the child as a dependent on their tax returns. The other option is for the child to sit down with the parents and get the tax information needed for the financial aid application for college.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.