What to do when hit by a non-insured driver?

Driver rear-ended my daughter. She and her friend were not injured but her car was totaled. The at-fault driver was cited for careless driving.

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Accident Law, South Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim for property damage for cost of repairs to car with your auto insurer. Additionally, if you were injured, you could also file for a personal injury as an uninsured motorist claim. If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage or any car insurance, then your only recourse would be to sue the at-fault driver. If you sue win, you can obtain a judgment which can be enforced with a wage garnishment or lien on their property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.