What to do if you remarried because you mistakenly thought that your divorce was final?

I was wrong as to when my divorce was actually final.

Asked on July 2, 2017 under Family Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A person cannot legally re-marry if they are still married to someone else at the time. If they do, then the second "marriage" is consodered to be null and void. This means that in the eyes of the law it is as though the second marriage never took place. At this point, assuming tht you still want to be married to your current "spouse", you will need to get married once again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.