What to do if my lawyer spends my settlement money?

I got in a car accident in 2009 and won my case. I sued the driver and also went through my mother’s boyfriend’s insurance since he lived with us. My lawyer gave me a check for a portion of the money and still owed me $20,000. He sent me a check which got returned due to insufficient funds. I informed him about it 3 weeks ago and he sent me $3,000. I have incurred fees from the bank about this whole situation. He just seems to be blowing me off. What should I do. I would think this was a simple mistake but I know him personally he dates my friends aunt so I now know he has a drug problem.

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Business Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is not only illegal to take client funds but it is unethical as well.  This is a serious charge so please be absolutely sure that you have your facts straight.  And if you do, then you have to seek help in doing what you need to get your money, which may include having to report the attorney to the Ethics Committee in your area.  You can go and speak with another attorney to help you.  It is my understanding that there exists in Massachusetts Clients' Security Boards.  They make sure that clients whose funds taken by dishonest acts by members of the Bar Association have a way to get their money back.  Here is a link to help you start.  Good luck. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.