What to do if I am the suspect in a criminal investigation for extortion/telecommunication harassment?

I met a guy online. He is a Realtor and used a fake name. We hooked up at one of the properties that he was running reports on for the bank. A week later, I was on a site searching for listings because I am interested in buying a condo. I clicked on a property, and it showed me the listing agent’s information. I saw his picture and recognized him. I became furious when I realized that he used a fake name with me. I googled away and found out his wife’s name and information. I used this information to requests gifts and shopping passes from him. He reported me to the police department.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would hire an attorney in your area as soon as you possibly can.  You have gotten yourself in to a very serious legal situation and you need to get help from the get go.  Your attorney will advise you as to the best way to proceed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.