What to do if my dentist is refusing to return money for work that has to be redone?

I paid for 5 abutments and total of 7 crowns that my dentist put in. I had several complaints about the work, but he dismissed them. I went for second opinion, than third and was told that 6 out of 7 crowns needed to be replaced. I did not want my dentist to replace them, because I lost trust in him, so I replaced the crowns at another office. I am requesting my original dentist to give my money back but he is refusing to do so. What should I do next?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Malpractice Law, District of Columbia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could sue him for the money, if he refuses to voluntarily reimburse you. You could sue based on professional malpractice (he provided care that did not meet accepted standards for such dental care) and possibly breach of contract (he violated the agreement between you and him by not providing you the acceptable crowns, etc. you were paying for). You may wish to consult with a medical malpractice attorney, to evaluate the strength of your case and also what it might be worth. Bear in mind that medical malpractice cases can be expensive to pursue, since you will need a medial (dental) expert of your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.