what texas code chapter and section govern wills

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Texas has a separate Probate Code.  To review it,  you can start here:  https://law.justia.com/texas/codes/pb.html

For forms, this will help:  https://law.justia.com/texas/codes/pb.htmlhttps://law.justia.com/texas/codes/pb.html

Since this can be a technical and complicated area of the law, you may want to consult with an attorney regarding this.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say what section covers wills do you mean the writing and executing of a will or the probate of a will?  These are different.  In reviewing some of the information available it appears that Texas has some idiosyncrasies regarding wording in a will that allows a party to avoid paying a bond, etc. to probate the will when a person dies.  If you are writing a will it may be best of you consult an attorney.  If you are probating a will,  often the clerks of the court in the count where the decedent lived are helpful for obtaining information and can let you know your options.  Legal advice is always best.  Look for a Texas estate attorney here at attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.