What steps should I take after a wreck to get money to pay for orthopedic doctor and surgery or what ever comes next?

i have gone to ER and seen my doctor. MRI results show a 50% tear in the common extensor tendon in my elbow. I have no insurance but the at-fault party admits liability and offered to pay for ER, additional medical bills up to $2,000 and $1,000 for pain and inconvence (this was prior to MRI). I refused their offer went and took MRI. What do I do now? My wife was OK; she signed off on a settlement of $1,000. Also, I received a check for damage to my car.

Asked on September 25, 2014 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can potentially sue the at-fault party for any costs (like medical bills), for lost wages (if any), or possibly, with significant, long-lasting injuries, for some amount of "pain and suffering." You may also be able to sue for car damage--at least any portion not paid yet. If you have received any payments, what you have received is essentially a credit against what you could recover; and if any settlements were signed, you need to review them to see if you gave up any rights. Your best bet is to consult with a personal injury (PI) attorney about the case, bringing with you all doctor reports, all correspondence, copies of all payment, and any settlements signed. Many such attorneys provide a free initial consultation; you can comfirm this before meeting with the lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.