What steps need to be taken for a sports team to become a non-profit?

The team is a softball traveling team for youth and we are interested in becoming a non profit for fundraising and donation purposes.

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Business Law, California


E.H., Member, Calfiornia Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will have to file with the Secretary of State to form a non-profit corporation.  The first step is to form the non-profit by filing the articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State.

You can find all the information you will need on the California Secretary of State website.  Specifically, here is a document detailing the process and requirements in order to estabish a non-profit corporation:


In summary, you will need to file an application, pay fees, adhere to tax requirements, etc.  In addition, all corporations are subject to state and federal tax laws and may be subject to additional requirements depending on the type of corporation and/or the type of business conducted.

The link will also provide you with valuable links to resources and information as to contact phone numbers should you need to do so.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.