What steps do I need to take after my 23 yr old son had an accident in my uninsured car No injuries were incurred.

My son was makeing a l;eft turn onto a service drive when a SUV broadsided him. Both drivers had the green light. I received a letter from a Douglas Knight & Assoc. asking for payment of 13,907.20. On the same day i received this letter, I received a third copy of a questionnaire from The Hartford group asking me about the insurance. What do I do?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Accident Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In the state of Michigan, all motorists must carry liability coverage also referred to as “Michigan No Fault insurance." The minimum auto liability amounts required by Michigan law are as follows: $20,000 bodily injury liability for one person, $40,000 bodily injury liability for all injuries in one accident, and $10,000 property damage liability.  Since you did not have insurance you will probably be sued personally for the damage.  Douglas Knight & Associates are Insurance adjusters.  The questionnaire I am assuming is from the SUV's carrier, Hartford.   

From your description of the accident it appears that your son may be at fault ( he made a left hand turn in front of oncoming traffic) although the speed of the SUV may be a factor as well.  You need to see a lawyer about this matter.  Don't delay.  Ignoring it will ot make it go away.  Check here at attorneypages.com and see if someone will speak with you on a consultation basis.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.