What should I expect on my court date for driving without insurance?

I recently got pulled over and received a ticket for no proof of insurance. The officer said that if I brought in proof of insurance within 7 working days, that the citation would be waived. So, I got some insurance and took the proof in, but the lady said that I need a insurance card with the date of the citation on it. So, what I’m saying is, I did not have insurance at the time that I got pulled over and I am very worried about what will happen next. I’ve heard that I may get a suspended license and a fine. What should I expect? Is there anything specific I should do?

Asked on September 8, 2010 under General Practice, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Most states require that you have liability insurance in order to drive a car on their roadways if you register a car in their state.  Kansas as well.  It is my understanding that under Kansas law, if you operate a motor vehicle without insurance it is considered a Class B misdemeanor and you can be issued a fine of between $300 and $1000 dollars (minimum and maximum), jail time of up to 6 months or both.  I am sure that suspending your license is an option as well.  I would consult with an attorney that deals with these types of cases on a regular basis to possibly help defense you, not that there is a "defense" really.  But an attorney that is respected in the field will know if there is any "give" in the sentence say for community service instead of jail time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.