What should I do with my rent if I’m not sure who the owner is?

I received paperwork from the court stating that I am to begin paying my rent to them. However, my landlord says they are still in negotiation and to hold the rent.

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you received paperwork from the court stating that rent is to be paid to the court presumably by way of a court order, I suggest that the rent check be paid to the court. To protect yourself, you should reference that the check is being paid per court order pending any new order to the contrary with a copy sent to your landlord.

Keep copies of all letters and cancelled checks for future reference.

Given the situation that you are faced with, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney as well to make sure you are making payments to the proper person, be it the landlord or the court clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.