What should I do if I’m innocent and being charged?

I’m 16 and 4 of my friends and I were walking down the street at 1:30 am and 2 of them started breaking mail boxes and garden lamps, so I went home. The next thing I know, 3 cops are at my house because 1 of my friends got arrested and my name was on his recent calls list. I was arrested for evasion of arrest, property damage and curfew violation.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At this point, the police have determined that they had probable cause to arrest you based upon their belief that you committed the crime of malicious destruction of property, curfew violation and eluding police. This does not mean that you are guilty of the crimes, but that you may be criminally charged of these offenses. Because you are a minor, I would advise you or your parents to consult a criminal defense attorney because these are very serious charges and a attorney can help you plan a defense in court.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.