What should I do when being very badly treated at work?

I constantly get harassed at my job. My co-workers ridicule me repeatedly over

homosexuality, that I should have been aborted and I’m a waste of human life/space, etc. I am taken as a joke and the managers look the other way when I go to them for help. I have ADHD, bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder. Aside from all the unnecessary stress put on my shoulders by my co-workers and managers, I’m still expected to perform equally to others despite how difficult they make it.

Asked on September 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Neither federal law nor your state's law prohibits discrimination or harassment at work on the basis of sexual orientation (e.g. being homosexual), so  you are not entitled to compensation on that basis. 
Thre is also no law requiring employees to generally be treated fairly or consistently, so it is irrelevant is you do things well at store A but your coworkers or managers at store B do not like you--there is no legal basis for compensation because some co-workers or managers do not like you while other ones do. 
However, the law does prohibit discriminating against or harassing an employee on the basis of a disability, which would very likely include bipoloar disorder, ADHD, and anxiety disorder. If you feel you are being harassed because of these conditions, you may be suffering illegal disability-based employment discrimination, and may have a claim for compensation on that basis. If you believe that is the case, contact the federal EEOC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.