What should I do regarding a hit and run case with a parked car if the other owner isn’t even filing a claim?

I stopped and started to exchanged basic info but threatened to call the cops as I struggled to find my insurance. I panicked and took off. I was cited by the cops later that night but was drunk by the time they came but was only cited for the hit and run. Now the owner of the car doesn’t even appear to be filing a claim about a week later. My thoughts to this point are plead not guilty and negotiate a lesser charge with the prosecutor after the initial plea. Damage to my car was minimal (under $500 including the labor) and never really saw damage to his but it was dark out.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may want to hold off a bit longer before you enter a plea bargain.  Just because it's been a week, doesn't mean the owner or the insurance company is not going to do something.  There may just be a lag in paperwork.  If you enter any plea bargain agreement related to this incident right now, it could be construed as an admission of guilt and used against you in a civil suit.  Considering that you don't know the full extent of the damage or what actually happened, you may want to obtain and review the offense report before you make any final decisions which result in damaging admissions agaisnt you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.