IfI changed my mind about an apartment, can I get my money back ifI haven’t yet signed a lease?

I moved into an apartment 2 weeks ago. I gave the landlord my money ($1200) and still haven’t signed a lease. A complaint was just filed on me because my grandson spent the night and was crying. They are trying to make me get a 2 bedroom because my grandson spends the night with me sometimes while his mother works. I am not happy with this apartment and I want to know what I have to do to get my money back?

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have not signed a written lease for the apartment that you are living in with your landlord, you are essentially on a month-to-month rental even though the written lease that has not been signed by you may have a longer period for your occupation.

If you do not want to continue living in your unit, I would give your landlord a thirty (30) day termination notice of your intent to end your lease and serve it personally on your landlord.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.