What should I do in regards to my child because of the new schedule?

My childs father and I recently went to court. We live in different counties and went in his county. The judge awarded him fFriday at 6:00 pm to Sunday at 6:00 pm because I work doubles on the weekends. Since going to court, he started a new job requiring him to work 7 days a week, 2:15 pm-10:45 pm. He is saying his father will keep her while he works and I will be meeting him to drop her off. The environment of his fathers home is not stable and I do not want him having her every weekend. My mom was keeping her for me while I worked. Can I get this changed ? Do I have to meet his father?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I can understand how you must feel.  What you have to do is to abide by the order which says to drop the baby with him not his dad, correct?  And if the circumstances have changed then you need to go back to corut to ask for a modification.  You need to prove that being with your Mother is in the "best interests of the child" - the standard used - and that being with his father is not. Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.