What should I do if my husband abused me and I don’t have any money to leave him?

We got married over 2 years ago and I came to the sates to live with him (I’m a permanent resident). Yesterday he went to prison because he abused me (he had never been in prison before) and now I don’t want to be with him anymore but I have no money to afford moving to another place or pay for school. He is a software engineer and his annual income is over $140. I don’t know if there’s something that could be done legally to make him pay for my expenses until I find a job.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are a few different mechanisms in the California Family Code that allow spouses to have their attorney fees paid for by the other party.  One of those mechanisms kicks in when one party makes a lot more money than the other.  You may also want to get a restraining order, so that when he gets out of jail he is not allowed to come near you anymore. 

If you are in the Ventura County area, I would love to help you out.  If you are in another county, contact a local family law attorney for a divorce and a protective order.

Best of Luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.