What should I do if my car insurance expired about 3 moths ag, and a semi-truck hit me?

Asked on October 14, 2014 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you believe the truck's driver was at fault (he was driving carelessly, or negligently, and that's what caused the accident), you can sue the driver and/or the truck's owner (if they are not the same person) to recover you repair costs, medical bills (if any), lost wages (if any), and other out-of-pocket expenses (like towing or rental) caused by the accident. The critical thing is that the driver and/or owner would only be liable, or responsible, if they were at fault; if they were not at fault, you'll have to pay your own expenses--and if you were at fault, could potentially be sued by them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.