What should I do if bring false accused of a hit and run.

I live in Texas. I went to a
firework show in Louisiana. I left
a few minutes before the fireworks
ended. I went home with no problem.
I wake up next morning and notice a
scrape on the truck. I didn’t have
time to worry about it so I went to
work. Later my parents call me and
tell me the cops are looking for me
because I’m involved with a hit and
run. They say I backed up and
scrapped the front left side of the
truck. I clearly remember that I
didn’t do any backing up.

Asked on July 6, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you don't want to hire an attorney, all you can do is to present your testimony about what happened, and any evidence that supports your position (e.g. if the scrape on the truck matches, say, paint from your fence, so that's likely where it came from, you could present photos of the fence, a paint chip from the fence for comparison, etc.). The prosecutor may offer you a favorable deal, or you may escape liability entirely IF there is no credible evidence (e.g. believable testimony from people who say you hit their car or bicycle or themselves; photographs or videos). Much obviously depends on what evidence the prosecution has.
Ideally though, you should retain a lawyer to defend you. When you appear in court, plead not guilty and ask for an adjournment (time) to retain a lawyer, if you have not had the chance to get one before court. While getting your lawyer, exercise your right to remain silent and do NOT say anything about  this matter to anyone. Once you get a lawyer, follow his/her instructions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.