What should I do if a trustee will not provide trust information, an accounting, or release trust funds to the sole beneficiary when requested.

I am the sole beneficiary of a trust created by my mother’s death and my sister is the
trustee. Per my mother’s will, my portion of her estate was placed in trust and was to
be paid to me on my 55th birthday 7 years ago. My sister said the value of the trust
is about 92,000 and gave me a distribution of 70,000 a year ago. She filed a 1041
and I received a schedule k back in April and had to pay additional taxes for
investment income. I have requested a copy of the trust instrument, end of year
statements for the last 3 years and a current account ledger. She refuses to even
communicate with me at all any more. I suspect she has mis appropriated my
remaining trust funds…….I am in Texas and she is in Colorado

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a petition for an accounting of the trust.  You may have a potential claim for breach of fiduciary duty if she has not properly handled funds.  You can try to do this on your own...but because it does require certain procedural requirements to perfect, I recommend that you hire counsel to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.