What should I do about my current cellular service provider?

A cellular service provider that I recently contracted with claims that I owe $400 from 8 years ago. I recieved a call in regards to this a full 24 hours after I had been set up with service. At the time of signing my new contract, this had not been mentioned. I am currently awaiting a formal statement of charges they claim I owe from the previous contract (I was once on a plan with them but never recieved anything to this effect). Since there has been nothing to suggest I owe a bill in the amount of $400 and nothing has even been reported on my credit report in the 8 years in question, how should I handle this situation? Should I simply turn in my equipment within the allotted period to terminate without penalty and walk away? As of yet they have yet to produce a statement of charges.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Until your service provider provides you with a detailed billing showing that the debt is indeed yours, you are not required to pay if you challenge the validity of the debt. After 8 years, you should have received either a bill, collection notice, judgment, or filing on your credit report informing you of this debt. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.