What should I do regarding a citation for assault?

I received an assault citation for $120 and I was told by the police officer that it is not a state charge and that it is equal to a parking ticket. Will this affect me down the road because I am a medical student? Also, I was acting in defense of my cousin so should I plead not guilty? Or should  first consult with a criminal law attorney? I’m in DuPage County, IL.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Any criminal citation to a person has the possibility of having a negative impact upon him or her if convicted. Given the citation for assault that was issued to you, I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about it in order to see how the best way to resolve it.

If you wish to contest the citation, then you can appear in court and have the prosecution present its case against you. You need to realize that the prosecution bears the burden of proving its case against you beyond a reasonable doubt.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.