What should I do if my dorm room is making me sick?

I found out yesterday that it was mold in the room that was making me sick; it was on the air conditioner. My mom cleaned it off with some of her cleaning supplies from work; she is a custodian and said that the mold is going come back. So today I went to the housing department and told them and they told me that they have to see physical proof that the mold is in the room. I told the lady in the department that there is some mold still on air conditioner. She told me that they don’t have any space open until after Labor Day and that I should just drink water and wait.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way after making a complaint to the housing department that your dorm room is making you sick is to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation you now find yourself on. Another option is to make a complaint with your local health department about your dorm room and request an inspection of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.