What should be my course of action if an individual forged my signature on loan documents, as well as a check they received from a loan company?

I applied for a payday loan at a local store. Then 2 weeks later, someone (presumably an employee at the loan company) took out a loan with this company in my name without my consent.

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Contact the police *immediately*--not only is this a crime, but you want to file a report and quickly create a paper trail that you have reported this as a crime and that it is not you.

Once you done that, write to theh loan company (include the police report if you have a copy; otherwise indicate you'll forward the police report when you have it) indicating what happened in as much detail as possible and that you did not take out or authorize this loan and you expect them to NOT seek payment from you and also not report this vs. your credit.

If  they take care of  it, good; if not, you may need to hire an attorney and go to court to get his taken care of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.