What should a person do if their legal counsel is no longer able to continue with an auto accident claim due to an illness?

Asked on October 23, 2013 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your attorney can withdraw from the case as your attorney of record.  Your attorney can sign a substitution of attorney form in which you can be listed as the attorney in pro per (representing yourself) if you don't already have a new attorney.  When you retain another attorney, the new attorney can sign the substitution of attorney form and will then be your attorney of record.

You will end up paying two attorneys out of the settlement of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.