What settlement should I ask for?

I had broken my foot in August and was healing and told surgery wasn’t needed. I had begun physical therapy and then was in an accident in October. After the accident they put me in a cast for 2 weeks and then did an ankle reconstruction surgery that cost over $40,000. They want to know what settlement I’m looking for and I have no

idea what to request.

Asked on October 10, 2017 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
It may be difficult to determine how much of your medical treatment was due to your pre-existing injury and how much was the result of the auto accident.
It would be advisable to ask for policy limits (of the at-fault party's insurance).  If that amount is inadequate to compensate you for your injury, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.
If the case is settled, NO lawsuit is filed.
If the case is NOT settled, your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.