What rights does a biological father have after a long absence?

About 12 years ago I was impregnated by an ex; he wanted me to get an abortion and when I confirmed the pregnancy and he became violent. He called a few times during my first trimester but then disappeared. I moved on never sought support – 12 years later he’s saying that he has a strong civil suit (i.e. I have kept him away from his child: not true just never sought individual out since it was a volatile relationship to begin with). Does this individual have a case against me? What would your advice be?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

My advice would be to get an attorney as soon as you can to protect you and your daughter from this person.  You need to be armed when he comes seeking custody and visitation.  At this point in time you are the child's sole legal guardian.  If he brings a petition then seek back support.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.