What rights do I have in obtaining my savings bonds back that my parents refused to give me?

Some of them I may only be a co-owner but the majority have just my name on them.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are an adult, over the age of 18 years, you are entitled to the savings bonds from your parents upon request for such. If you are not 18 years of age, you need to wait until then to receive them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.