what rights do i have co owning a property?

My father and I own a property together and he wants to move his fianc in once they’re married. We never agreed to this and I want to know if I can stop her from moving in since I co own the house ?

Asked on March 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't stop him from moving his finance in--and he could not stop you from moving your significant other or finance in, either. All owners of a home have the right to use and occupy it, and to allow guests to stay in the home. You and your father may need to either have one of you buy out the other, or sell the house completely, if you can't decide on what to do with it; and if you can't even agree on whether or not to sell it, you have the right to go to the court (i.e. to file a legal action) and ask the court to order the property sold (due to owner disagreement over how to use it) and the proceeds from the sale split between the owners. (This is often called an action for "partition.")

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.