What recourse does one have after closing if there are several items discovered that were not initially disclosed, like jet noise & moisture?

We did have a home inspection done, which dicovered no visable moisture. Wall stains were said to be old and dry. However the day we moved in (day after closing) we discovered new moisture on these baseboards . Inspector said that it was coming from failed caulk on windows which has since been fixed, but the problem is getting worse and obviously seems to have been there for quite some time. It may cost us several thousand dollars to figure out the cause and replace the damage. Additionally we were not told of the amount of jet noise that this area has. The house initally listed as > 65 db.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to talk to the lawyer who handled this home purchase for you; if you didn't have an attorney, it's time to find one now.  One place to look for counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I'm not a Virginia lawyer, and I don't have all the facts, so I can't give you detailed advice.  But you may not be able to do much about the moisture problem since you had your own inspection done.  If the home inspection company gave you a warranty, your lawyer will want to take a very close look at that.

Doing something about the jet noise is probably an uphill battle, unless there is law in your area that required it to be disclosed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.