What recourse do I have against a company that did not keep to a signed agreement?

My contracting job was terminated as I told a customer that my hours were changed from full-time to a as needed basis. I believe the customer took what I said and changed it or added to what I said to demean the company I was working with since the job assignment had to be rescheduled due to more time was going to be needed to be able to complete the job start to finish. The customer is

known to lash out when things do not go as planned. The reason for the change in my hours was what the office manager had told me and that is their company will no longer be getting a small percentage of the sale of equipment in our service region. The office manager never told me to

keep it confidential or indicated it in anyway. We agreed on a settlement that basically stated it was a no fault situation and we amicably terminated the business relationship. I was very accommodating to them as they had violated my contract and they were suppose to give me 30 days notice for any changes to my contract with them. After the agreement was signed, I realized shortly afterward that another company that I had done business with for over 2 decades in the past had stopped all communications with me. I know someone in the company that I had the agreement with had contacted the other company as he had once work for that company in a management position. I don’t have any hard proof and neither side will talk to me. Is there any action I can take against either company? Is there any action I can take against the customer who I believe took what I said out of context to demean the company I was working with?

Asked on April 3, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't sue the other company unless in not working with or commuicating with you, they are violating a written contract or agreement you have with *them*. Unless they are violating a contract, they have the right to choose to not communicate with or work with you.
2) You could sue the first company if they violated the written agreement you signed with them, but would have to show that they did violate the agreement's terms--and you would have to have evidence or proof. The person suing must prove his/her case; without evidence or proof, you cannot win.
3) You cannot sue the customer unless he or she defamed *you*: you have no right to take action against them for alleged defamation of your employer. You cannot enforce the company's rights or interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.