What recourse do I have to collect unpaid earned vacation pay?

I worked for my employer for 11 years. I needed to transfer my job from one location to another, and was told I would be able to do so. After moving, I was denied the transfer due to lies and misrepresentations by my former manager. By not being able to transfer, I was forced to forfeit other benefits I had with the company, including; health insurance, unpaid earned vacation pay, and unemployment benefits. I feel I have a right to the vacation pay I earned, and some sort of wrongful termination filed against the company. Is there any legal actions I can take?

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately contact the state labor department and file a complaint and claim. Also contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and make sure you have all of your ducks in a row. Keep in close contact with all entities involved and if all else fails, then hire a labor lawyer to sue for labor violations and failure to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.