What recourse do I have against someone who came into my workplace and disclosed information about our court case to my co-workers and slandered me?

I was sued but not served. The claimant tracked me down via google I assume (because I never gave him my work or home address) and came to my place of work and began disclosing details of our court case and money he believes I owe him to my co-workers. I was not present but learned of this upon returning to the office. In addition, he mislead my co-workers to believing that we were romantically involved when they know I was married.

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If someone publically (which includes to your co-workers) made untrue factual statements about you which could damage your reputation, he may have defamed you; if you think that's the case, speak with a personal injury attorney to discuss the matter in detail and evaluate whether you have a worthwhile cause of action.

It is not illegal to disclose information about a lawsuit or court case, unless the person violated a court order or confidentiality agreement to do so. It is also not illegal or actionable to release or disclose true information about you, even if harmful, or to make negative statements if they are opinions (e.g. it's legal to say, "I think John/Jane Doe cheated me," since that is an opinion).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.