What protects my real estate better quit claiming the property into a trust account or an LLC?

Divorced and just bought a home. My name is still on my ex-husband’s mortgage for my previous home. The deed is only in his name but the mortgage is in both. How do I protect my real estate from being attached if he is foreclosed on?

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the dissolution agreement that presumably you have with your former husband where you are to receive title to the property that you are living in, from a cost benefit analysis, it would be best for you to have a trust created (if not already done) and have legal title to the property you are writing about quitclaimed into it by him.

If you create a limited liabilty company, your yearly fees for it will be around $800 or so per year payable to your state's secretary of state. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney experienced in Wills and trusts to further assist you with your question and how to proceed.

The key is that you have to keep the monthly debt load on the property current to prevent a foreclosure of it regardless if title is in your trust's name of not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.