What other ways could I sue if someone gave me HPV

I signed a confidential statement and mutual release 3 year ago stating this guy
gave me HPV and we settled for a dollar amount. A year later, I was clear of HPV
and this same person came around my life again last year. I had a check up and
found out I have HPV again. Since I already sued for HPV, what other ways would I
be able to sue this guy? Emotional Distress, Intentional Harm?

Asked on January 8, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You apparently knew he had HPV since you signed a settlement regarding his HPV 3 years ago. If you then had relations with him after that, he is NOT liable for your disease. A person is liable for giving someone a disease if they intentionally hid or lied about the disease, thereby infecting an unsuspecting person. But if you have sex with someone knowing they are infected, they are not liable--they did not and could not hide anything, since you knew of the disease, and you made the knowing and voluntary choice to be intimate. Therefore, since you had intimate relations with someone whom you already knew had been infected, he is not liable and you are not entitled to compensation for your voluntary act of having sex with this person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.