What options do we have

We bought a home in a new subdivision. The home we bought backs up to a large green belt area. We asked the home builder several times what the plan was for that area. Each time we were told it would remain an open area. We even have an email between builder and developer with that information on it. We bought the home April 2018. Now, the developer is about to build 4 houses in that area. The plat for that area was approved Nov. 2017. However, we were not aware of that and again were told it would remain an open space

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the builder intentionally or knowingly lied about a material or important fact (one affecting, for example, whether someone would buy the home or what they'd pay for it, such as what would happen with a green belt) that is fraud; fraud would provide grounds to sue the builder for compensation, such as the difference in value between the home backed by greenery and the home with houses on it. Suing is your only effective remedy, and you would have to prove that they intentionally lied--knew at the time that the land would be built on, but lied about that fact.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.