What needs to be filled with the court for my uncle to name me personal representative of my mother’s will?

My mother made a will when I was 13 years old, making her
brother the executor and, as far as I can tell, never redid
it after I turned 18. My uncle lives across the state and
hasn’t spoken to my mother in 10 years. Both of us feel that,
if only she would’ve thought about it, she would’ve named me
executor once I came of age. I’m the one that is familiar
with her finances ect. and I know he really doesn’t want to
deal with any of this, so I was wondering if there is a way
he’d be able to sign things over to me, for me to be the
responsible party?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your Uncle can "renounce" his appointemnt as the Personal Representative of the Estate and you can nominate yourself b filing to be appointed in his place.  He can state it will be a hardship to travel across the state to perform his duties, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.