What my rights if a business started work on my house without a contract?

I got a estimate for vinyl sliding in November. Company show up February at home and began working. No contact with me; no one was home. What should I do now?

Asked on February 28, 2016 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They had no right to begin working on your house without your consent. Legally, you could tell them to restore your house "as was" fully at their cost, or else you will file a police report (this can be, depending on the exact facts/situation, one or more of vandalism and/or extortion) contact the attorney general's office to report their fraudulent business practices, and also sue them for the cost to restore their house. Since that may result in litigation, such as if the refuse to do so and you have to sue them, it may be in your interest to "work things out" with them, but remember that *they* are legally in the wrong and you have leverage to use to get to a favorable resolution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.